A mom's journal of the sweet things in her life...

Monday, April 19, 2010

Tomato, Avocado & Shrimp Bruschetta

We had 2 of our favorite foodie friends over for dinner on the weekend and I served this bruschetta as our pre-dinner hors d'oeuvres.  Fresh, simple and super easy to throw together...it was a hit. I always struggle with what to serve for starters...I spend too much time focussing on dinner and dessert, it always feel like an after-thought.  I got the idea from Grazing by Julie Van Rosendaal, but then modified it to my liking.  If you're looking for a quick, summery appetizer that you can throw together either last minute (like me) or ahead of time, try this one.  It's a keeper.
One of the challenges of blogging about food you make for friends is that, if it's assembled when they're over, you have to try to get a good picture when you should be entertaining your guests.  I always feel like a loser when I pull out my camera and take pictures of my food in front of people...maybe it's because I'm not very good at it and so it takes several shots to get one decent picture.  Or perhaps it has something to do with the wine that is consumed... Anyway, needless to say, my pictures are less than inspired, but here's a close-up.  I do love to take close-ups.
Recipe for Tomato, Avocado & Shrimp Bruschetta
1/2 lb cooked shrimp (I cooked mine in chicken broth)
2 - 3 ripe tomatoes, seeded and chopped
1 ripe avocado, chopped
juice of one lime
handful of chopped fresh basil
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 T. olive oil
kosher salt and pepper to taste
Combine ingredients and mix gently.  Spoon on top of crostini. 
*Note - next time I will add chopped jalapenos for some extra heat

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails