A mom's journal of the sweet things in her life...

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Fudgy Brownies (Low Fat!!)

I haven't made brownies in a long time...huge oversight on my part since they are one of my absolute favorite things. The other day, while perusing the cooking magazines at the store, I stumbled across the magazine Light and Healthy 2010 by America's Test Kitchen. Intrigued, I flipped through the pages and found this recipe. I've never tried a light version of brownies before but I figured if I was ever going to, this would be the one. The magazine promises a fudgy texture with bold chocolate flavor. They delivered. They were delicious and if someone had served me this brownie, I would never have known they were light. (I even pulled out my handy Weight Watchers calculator and these are only 2 points per brownie!!)
You are supposed to use an 8 inch square pan and I only had a 9 inch pan, making them slightly thinner than they would have been otherwise. You create a foil "sling" in the pan, which makes pulling the brownies out and cutting them super easy.
Yes, these brownies are worth the extra effort - and I'll definitely be making them again. And probably soon too because between me and my kids, half the pan was eaten last night. 
Recipe for Fudgy Brownies
Source: Light & Healthy 2010 by America's Test Kitchen
Vegetable oil spray
3/4 c. (3 3/4 ounces) unbleached all purpose flour
1/3 c. (1 ounce) cocoa powder
1/2 t. baking powder
1/4 t. salt
2 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
2 T. unsalted butter
1 c. (7 ounces) sugar
2 T. low fat (but not fat free) sour cream
1 T. chocolate syrup
1 large egg plus one large egg white
2 t. vanilla extract
Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 350 degrees. Fold 2 long sheets of foil to be as wide as the pan. Lay the sheets in the pan, perpendicular to one another, with the extra foil hanging over the edges. Push the foil into the corners and up the sides, smoothing any wrinkles in the foil. Spray the sides and bottoms with vegetable spray. Set aside.
Whisk the flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl. Melt the bittersweet chocolate and butter together in a large bowl in the microwave; stirring often, 1 to 3 minutes. Let the mixture cool slightly.
Whisk the sugar, sour cream, chocolate syrup, egg, egg white, and vanilla into the chocolate mixture. Fold in the the flour mixture with a rubber spatula in 3 additions, until just incorporated.
Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top. Bake until a toothpick comes out with a few crumbs attached 20 to 25 minutes. (I baked for 16 - because I used a larger pan.)
Let brownies cool. Cut into 16 squares.



1 comment:

Related Posts with Thumbnails