A mom's journal of the sweet things in her life...

Friday, February 26, 2010

MOIST Chocolate Cake

Either my "Dry Cake Curse" has been lifted because the Baking Gods have finally taken pity on me, or I'm just getting more skilled at baking cakes with all my recent practice (4 cakes in less than 2 weeks - the first 2 of which were drier than the Sahara).  But then again, I think maybe I've only just recently found some very good recipes.
I was very happy (ecstatic actually) with my last chocolate cake by Ina Garten (even though the picture below was not very impressive, the cake itself was delicious and moist).  See previous post.  Even still, I had a nagging feeling that I should try one more recipe, just to see...
I found the "Hershey's Perfect Chocolate Chocolate Cake" recipe while perusing one of my favorite blogs "Obsessed with Baking".  I would include a link but I'm not that advanced in the world of blogging yet. Blogger "Steph", uses the recipe in several posts, and the fact that the recipe was similar to Ina Garten's recipe, in that it uses oil instead of butter, I decided to try it out.  Success!  I'm so happy!  The cake is delicious and chocolatey and more importantly, MOIST!  I did take a couple liberties with the recipe, I switched out the cup of boiling water for 8 ounces of espresso.  And I used Fry's Cocoa (that's all I had)  so I guess I have to change the name of the recipe.) Regardless, it was delicious!  I'm on a roll!  Go me! (And thank you Steph!)
Perfect Chocolate Chocolate Cake Recipe:
(found on "Obsessed With Baking Blog" and adapted ever so slightly)
2 c. sugar
1 3/4 c. flour
3/4 c. cocoa (sifted)
1 1/2 t. baking powder
1 1/2 t. baking soda 
1 t. salt
2 eggs
1 c. milk
1/2 c. vegetable oil
2 t. vanilla
1 c. freshly brewed espresso or coffee
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Grease and flour two 9 inch round baking pans.
Whisk together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in large bowl.  Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla.  Beat on medium speed of mixer for 2 minutes.  Stir in boiling water (or coffee of espresso).   Pour batter into prepared pans. 
Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to cooling rack.  Cool completely.





As soon as it came out of the oven, I knew it was going to be good and moist, 
without even tasting it...
I also loved the fact that the layers came out perfectly even, no need to trim...
making layering them so easy...
and icing it a breeze.  If all my pictures seem like overkill, 
it's only because I'm trying to redeem myself.
I used a family "recipe" for the icing.  It's the same frosting that's always covered all my grandma's, great aunts' and mom's brownies, cakes and cupcakes.  I've always loved it...problem is there's not really an exact recipe per se.  It's a "dollop" of this and a "dash" of that and you simply keeping adding stuff until you get it the way you like it.  So, today I actually took the time to record what I used so that I could post it.  This is not ground breaking, but it is good. 
Really Good Chocolate Frosting:
(family 'recipe')
4 ounces of cream cheese (softened)
1 c. butter (room temp.)
3 c. icing sugar
1/2 cup cocoa sifted
1 T. vanilla
1/8 t. salt
1 T. milk
Beat the cream cheese and butter until light and fluffy. Add 2 cups of the icing sugar and the cocoa and mix on low speed to combine.  Beat at higher speed until creamy. Add vanilla.  Beat.  Add remaining cup of icing sugar and salt (to taste) and beat until creamy.  Add milk one tablespoon at a time, until you get the consistency you want for decorating your cake.  (I only added 1 T. 

17 comments:

  1. This is hands down the best chocolate frosting in the world! I hope I have enough left to frost the cake with because I couldn't stop sampling from the mixing bowl...

    ReplyDelete
  2. ummm....about the cake part..my heart started pounding after I added the 1cup of coffee, it seemed so runny...things got worse after I poured the batter into SPRINGFORM pans...it started leaking out the bottoms! I panicked and put the pans on a cookie sheet and stuck them in the oven...it didn't "pan" out! lesson learned, I'm starting over right now with regular cake pans. oh well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you liked it! And that's a "family recipe" too, so even better!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know this is an old post but just found your blog.

    What is "icing sugar"? Is that confectionary sugar?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, sorry. Icing sugar is confectioners sugar.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, I've never heard 'icing sugar' used before. I want to try this. Love chocolate and coffee together. Ps, nice blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're welcome! Hope you like it, it's my favorite chocolate cake recipe to date. (Maybe 'icing sugar' is a Canadian thing?)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow. Just, wow.

    I made this cake for my son's 4th birthday party. I love to bake, but have not had much luck with a good, moist chocolate cake. This was so simple to make and it was seriously moist and delicious. You will NOT be disappointed with this cake. I used Nestle cocoa and regular coffee, just brewed very strong. I'm so happy, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. @ Muffin Man: I'm so glad you made it and liked it! I too was thrilled with the results. Thanks for commenting!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is the best chocolate cake recipe and frosting I've ever made. The batter is more runny than usual but don't be deceived, this is the best cake ever. Thank you so much for sharing this hit, wonderful photos too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello, just found your blog and the cake looks very delicious and moist!!
    I am going to try it out, but just wondering if I should use buttermilk or normal milk in this recipe? (in your other chocolate cake recipe based on Ina Garten's you have buttermilk?).
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Anon - Hi! Thanks for the comment. I use regular milk for this recipe. Let me know how it turns out for you...I'm hope you love it as much as I do.

      Delete
  12. I ended up trying it with normal milk and it turned out beautifully! Very moist without being too cloying! I used it to make a black forest torte for my husband's birthday and everyone raved about it! Thanks for the recipe!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so happy to hear that it worked out for you! Thanks so much for letting me know.

      Delete
  13. I LOVE this recipe. Had many failed chocolate cakes and gave this recipe one final try, WOW, it is amazing. Never fail. Whenever I make it, everyone asks for the recipe. Making it right now for a celebration at work tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Anonymous - I'm so glad you like the recipe! Thanks for the kind words!

      Delete
  14. Once again a hit at the office. Two more people asked for the recipe which is why I am back at your site. I put strawberry jam in the middle, yummmmmmm.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails