A mom's journal of the sweet things in her life...

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Hot Chocolate-Triple Chocolate Cookies


I'm feeling overwhelmed and not the least bit clever. This is our first week of school and I haven't found my groove. I'm also in the planning stages of my son's 3rd birthday party this weekend and I'm attempting a Spiderman cake. I'm no cake decorator and I'm quite certain it will be a disaster, but I will share it with you regardless. Stay tuned. In the meantime...


Chocolate chip cookies with hot chocolate mix in the dough.  You say "Why?". I say "Why not?"


I'm always looking for a new and interesting twist on a chocolate chip cookie.  I found this version on Savory Sweet Life and I kind of love them.


Yes, they are on the sweet side. But not that sickening sweet that makes you want to brush your teeth after eating them. Pleasantly sweet. Satisfying.


The dough looks like chocolate ice cream when you add the hot chocolate mix in.



The recipe calls for 3 cups of chocolate chips (1 cup of milk chocolate chips, 1 cup of white chocolate chips and 1 cup of semi-sweet).  I didn't have milk chocolate, and after I added 1 cup each of the white and regular semi-sweet chocolate chips, I was glad.  There was plenty of chocolate in this recipe without the addition of a further cup of milk chocolate chips.

I made the dough in the morning and then refrigerated it so that we could have warm cookies after lunch for our play date last week. They probably sat in the fridge for about 3 hours and I found the dough hard to scoop initially.  However, I was really happy with the cookies' thickness and texture, and would recommend chilling the dough for a couple hours if you can.




Recipe for Hot Chocolate-Triple Chocolate Cookies
1 cup of salted butter, room temperature
1 cup sugar
2/3 cup brown sugar
2 eggs 1 tsp. vanilla
3 1/4 cups flour
4 packages (1 ounce package, not sugar free) Hot Chocolate mix
1 tsp. salt
1 1/4 tsp. baking soda
1 cup each milk, white and semi-sweet chocolate chips


Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Cream butter and sugar till smooth. Beat eggs and vanilla till combined. 
In separate bowl, combine flour, Hot Chocolate mix, salt and baking soda.  
Add to wet ingredients in 3 or 4 parts, mixing until well-combined.  
Add chocolate chips. 
Chill dough for an hour or longer.
Use 1/4 cup as your scoop to scoop dough onto parchment lined baking sheets. 
Bake 9-11 minutes, or until the edges are lightly browned. 
Let cool 5 minutes before removing to cooling rack.

2 comments:

  1. I have gained five pounds just reading this wonderful post. These cookies sound amazing. I hope you are having a great evening. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well Heather I think I've Got it now......I know that I have given a comment before, but didn't remember just what I had done, just didn't go to the end of the page.....so I just want to send this and see if it will go.....enjoy your blog very much.......thanks for all your efforts.....Tante C

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails