A mom's journal of the sweet things in her life...

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Hershey's Best Fudgey Brownies

I have a problem. Her name is Daisy. She has four legs and she's a bloodhound. I've given this is a great deal of consideration and I can say with a reasonable degree of certainty that 70% of my stress and frustration can be attributed to her. My kids are responsible for a large portion of the other 30%, but there's two of them. 

Daisy is a very, very bad dog. She's also very, very cute, and therein lies the dilemma. How do you stay mad at face like that?
I made brownies the other day from my newly acquired Hershey's cookbook. I love the Hershey's recipe for chocolate cake so it stands to reason that they might know a thing or two about brownies. Typically, I prefer a brownie naked. If it is as decadent and fudgey as my taste demands, then it shouldn't need a frosting. However, this particular recipe had a chocolate glaze that is poured onto the brownies while they are still hot from the oven. Knowing that it would take some time for the brownies to cool enough to be sliced, and that I could not be trusted to wait the alloted time, I made the brownies right before I had to leave the house to drive my kids to school. 

I'm not a complete idiot, I do know that Daisy is not to be trusted. I don't let her run free in the house while I'm out, there's simply no telling what she'd get into. However, after I got home, I let her out of her kennel and then left the kitchen for about 30 seconds. When I returned, I found Daisy standing on her two hind legs, eating my brownies off the counter. This is what was left of them.
I managed to salvage the last row. All that work and I'm left with four lousy pieces from the entire batch. But all four of them were good. Very, very good.  I know this because I ate them all. It was my consolation prize. Besides, it was the prudent thing to do, not knowing how much of her saliva had contaminated the batch. Right? Well, that's what I told myself anyways. I did have some explaining to do  when my kids came home from school and there were no brownies for them. I told them that Daisy ate them all. They totally believed me. Foolish kids. 
"Best Fudgey Brownies"
(Source: Adapted from Hershey's Chocolate Cookbook)
1/2 cup butter, melted
1 cup sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
2 eggs
1/2 cup flour
1/3 cup Hershey's cocoa
1/4 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
Heat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease 8 or 9 inch square baking pan. Beat butter, sugar and vanilla with spoon in large bowl. Add eggs, beat well. Stir together flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt; gradually add to egg mixture, beating until well-blended. Spread in prepared pan.
Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until brownies begin to pull away from the sides of pan. Meanwhile, prepare the frosting. Spread the warm frosting over the warm brownies. Cool completely, cut into squares.
Chocolate Frosting
1 1/3 cups powdered sugar
2 Tbsp. Hershey's cocoa
3 Tbsp. butter
2 Tbsp. milk
1/4 tsp. vanilla
Place the powdered sugar and cocoa in a medium bowl. Heat butter and milk in small saucepan over low heat until butter is melted. Gradually beat in cocoa mixture, beating until smooth. Stir in vanilla.


  1. Yum! Those look delish! Love the picture of the demolished pan of brownies - my little brother did that to a birthday cake when he was two. =) Did the puppy get sick from all of that chocolate?!

  2. Thanks Abby! No, fortunately she did not get sick. I think it's because she's so big - also why she was able to reach them. : )

  3. That is classic! Great job Daisy! Too cute. Just a quick question. Do you ever buy/use the cocoa powder from Costco? What brand do you usually have on hand?

  4. Hi Dominika! I usually use Fry's cocoa (and did in this recipe). I have used one from Costco and liked it a lot. I would buy Hershey's if it was available, have you ever seen it??

  5. I think they only sell Hershey's in the U.S. Might have to pick some up next time!

  6. I have a Daisy -- his name is Bailey. He's a beagle, and what he lacks in size, he makes up for in determination. He can reach the edge of the table on his hind legs. But he somehow manages to climb all the way up onto the table if there's something he really wants.

    Glad to hear Daisy didn't get sick. And that she was nice enough to leave you a row of slobbery brownies.

  7. LOL... I had the same experience with our dog. He ate about half a pound of hershey chocolate.

    He was fine. I don't know where they get the idea that chocolate will kill dogs.


Related Posts with Thumbnails