A mom's journal of the sweet things in her life...

Thursday, September 1, 2011

Grilled Pork Tenderloin with Nectarine BBQ Sauce

You know when you make a regular week-night meal and you have really no great expectations other than to feed your family and just get one more meal finished? And then you're pleasantly surprised by how delicious the meal is and your entire family agrees? It's like a gift from the gods. 
My nectarines were ripening away on my counter and I was looking for something to make for dinner. Then I remembered seeing Gwyneth's recipe in Bon Appetie  for Peach BBQ sauce. Nectarines...peaches....really, what's the dif? I don't mean that literally - I do know the difference, but as far as cooking a BBQ sauce, I figured the nectarines would be a good fill-in. I was right! This sauce was delicious - and I'm not usually a fan of BBQ sauce. 
As for the rest of the preparation, I just threw together a random dry rub for the pork tenderloin by looking through my spices. Luckily I always jot down my 'random' concoctions, just in case I want to make it again. We'll definitely be having this meal again - it was loved by all four of us - and I can't tell you how rare that it is.  

Recipe for Grilled Pork Tenderloin with Nectarine BBQ Sauce
1 large pork tenderloin, trimmed and silver skin removed
Dry Rub:
2 tsp. kosher salt
1 1/2 Tbsp. brown sugar
1 tsp. chili powder
1/4 tsp. onion powder
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
Nectarine (or peach) BBQ sauce, recipe below
Clean your tenderloin. Mix all the ingredients for the dry rub. Season the tenderloin by rubbing all of the dry rub into the meat. Allow to sit for 15 - 20 minutes at room temperature. Preheat your BBQ to medium heat. Cook the tenderloin on the BBQ, turning often. Coat it with the BBQ sauce a few times in the last 5 minutes of cooking, allowing the sauce to cook onto the meat. Once the juices run clear and the meat is cooked, allow to rest 10 minutes before cutting.
Nectarine BBQ Sauce
(adapted from Gwyneth Paltrow via Bon Appetit)
1 cup chopped fresh nectarine, peeled (or peaches)
1/2 cup ketchup
1 1/2 tsp. adobo sauce from canned chipotles in adobo sauce
2 Tbsp. freshly squeezed lemon juice
2 garlic cloves, minced
Put all ingredients in a small sauce pan and simmer for about 10 minutes until slightly thickened. Allow to cool slightly. Pour into blender or food processor and process until smooth.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails