A mom's journal of the sweet things in her life...

Monday, February 22, 2010

Lenox Almond Biscotti


I love biscotti!  And due to the fact that it's supposed to be dry, it's basically fool proof!  I typically use the recipe from my "go-to-book" called "The Best Recipe", but I decided to branch out and try something new. This recipe is from Dorie Greenspan's "Baking From My Home to Yours".

These cookies have cornmeal in them, which make them a pretty yellow color, gives them a nice texture, and makes them my new favorite biscotti recipe. I also added a handful of dried cranberries to mine.  It calls for quite a bit of almond extract, typically I omit that from all recipes because I find it too strong and over powering.  However, in the spirit of trying something new, I put in half.  Next time I will omit it completely. (It didn't ruin them by any stretch, but I don't think these cookies need it.)

Recipe for Lenox Almond Biscotti:
(adapted from Dorie Greenspan)

1 1/2 c. flour
1 1/2 t. baking powder
1/4 t. salt
1/2 c. yellow cornmeal
8 T. unsalted butter (room temp.)
1 cup sugar
2 large eggs
1 1/2 t. pure almond extract (I used 1/2 tsp.)
3/4 c. sliced almonds
* I added handful of dried cranberries with the almonds

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Line baking sheet with parchment paper.

Whisk flour, baking powder, corn meal and salt together. 

Beat butter and sugar with paddle attachment of a stand mixer at medium speed for 3 minutes. Add eggs and continue to beat another 2 minutes.  Beat in almond extract.  Reduce speed to low and add dry ingredients, mixing only until incorporated. Toss in almonds (and cranberries if you like) and mix.

Divide dough in 2, and create 2 logs 12 inches in length and about 1 1/2 inches wide.  Bake 15 minutes or until slightly golden.  (Logs will be still be quite soft).  Remove from oven and let cool for 30 minutes. Cut logs into 3/4 inch slices. Replace cookies onto cookie sheet, cut side down and put back into oven.  Bake another 15 minutes or until golden and firm to the touch.  Let cool to room temperature.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails