A mom's journal of the sweet things in her life...

Friday, July 23, 2010

Kit Kat White Chocolate Blondies



Hello. Remember me? 

I'm the girl who told you that  you should melt chocolate bars with butter and make squares with them. I also pretty much told Weight Watchers to take a flying leap. Yuh. Sure did. All this just earlier today.

As soon as I hit "publish post", I started browsing other food blogs. I still had Mars Bars stuck in my teeth when I stumbled upon yet another recipe that uses chocolate bars.  Kit Kat chocolate bars on top of a white chocolate Blondie. I liked this concept. Definitely worth exploring. Non?



What are the chances I would have Kit Kat bars in my cupboard? They were left over from Halloween. Surely it was a sign that this was meant to be. It appeared that my chocolate bender was not over. Not by a long shot. It had only just begun.





No sooner had I finished washing the cutting board and knife that I used to chop up Mars Bars and I was pulling them out again. I needed them to chop up Kit Kat bars this time. Say goodbye to the skinny jeans.

I found this recipe on Picky Palate. She used a muffin top pan instead of the 8" square pan that I used, you can use either. She commented that they weren't anything pretty to look at. She wasn't lying. They weren't. They were ugly as hell. Hers looked pretty good - mine sunk in the middle leaving an abnormally high crust. I'm thinking the muffin top pan might be the way to go.


As much as I love the idea of baking with chocolate bars, I think the Blondie aspect of this recipe could be tweaked. Perhaps baking it in a slightly larger pan (9x9), perhaps mixing half the Kit Kat bits into the batter and then sprinkling the rest on top. Perhaps a tad more salt. Perhaps.

After I cut off the crust part, and granted some people really like that part of a brownie but I'm not one of them, I was left with no more than nine flat pieces from the centre, which were somewhat more appealing. 



At first I thought they seemed a little greasy and I was disappointed. But I left them on the counter,  took the kids to the park and forgot about them. Then later, I walked past them on the counter and I tried one. It was good. Not outstanding, but good. I think it's important to let them cool to room temperature before you try them. 

The final verdict? Make these if you have Kit Kat bars lying around, but I wouldn't run out and buy them specifically for this. Unless you must. Then do so. It's up to you. Really. Who am I to tell you not to? I just made Mars Bar Squares and Kit Kat White Chocolate Blondies in the same afternoon.

Recipe:
1/4 cup butter
3/4 cup white chocolate chips
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup white chocolate chips
2 eggs
2 Tablespoons heavy cream
10 individual Kit Kat sticks


Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place butter into a microwave safe bowl and melt. Stir in white chips until melted and smooth.

Place sugar, brown sugar, flour, baking powder, salt and white chips into a mixing bowl, stir in melted butter/white chocolate  

then stir in eggs and cream.
Pour batter into a 8×8 inch baking dish lined with foil and sprayed with cooking spray and top with cut up pieces of kit kat bars. 
Bake for 30-35 minutes or until cooked through, let cool then cut into squares.

P.S. - If you happen to be a member of Weight Watchers, please don't tell them what I've been up to. I will be banned for life. Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails